May 13, 2009

PSA: Time is a resource

I sometimes believe the internet can read my mind. Don't believe me? Well, I had been thinking to myself recently that, while an excellent source of entertainment, video games really don't do much else for you. And wouldn't you know it, the same day I find this excellent article over at Pixelated Geek. They put my thoughts into words likely better than I could.


This has nothing to do with the article, but I found it on Pixelated Geek and lol'd.

To sum up: time spent playing video games is time lost doing anything else. This is something that I think some avid gamers forget from time to time.

Oh sure, arguments be made that video games increase your hand/eye coordination, or that organizing a WoW raid is an exercise in project management. But other than other gamers, who else is going to understand this? More importantly everyone has goals in life, and most of them don't involve video games (get an education/job/spouse, raise a family, travel more, lose weight, etc.). Video games advance none of these goals.

I'm not knocking video games in any way - I love them - but I don't recommend anyone play them at the expense of other aspects of their lives.

No comments: