Apr 2, 2009

April Fool's Day, crusher of dreams

The internet has always been a scary, yet wonderful place. This only gets amplified on April Fool's Day. Of course, you always see or hear a few elaborate pranks that really amaze. But there are other pranks, ones that are played on you, the internet surfer, that I feel are truly malicious.

At first glance, many of these pranks seem real. You might even want to take them at face value because you desperately want it to be true. But then, at the moment where you've truly become excited or interested in something, your hopes come crashing down on you:

  • Such was the case with the "announcement" of a new class in Diablo 3, the Archivist. I'm hungry for any details, Blizzard, why do you do this to me? The description they have is tongue-in-cheek, and the videos are of some variant of Deckard Cain feebly hobbling through levels. Stay (there) awhile and listen.
  • Valve possibly teased at what the next class due up for a weapons pack might be (the Sniper), but did so in a way that calls into question it's validity. Jarate? Throwing jars of urine on your opponents? Come on, Valve, this isn't South Park for the N64...
  • And lastly, when I first saw this, part of me kinda wanted a USB Pet Rock. But then I realized it was a prank and that I already have better technology sitting outside my front door (those rocks are wifi).

No comments: