Apr 3, 2009

OMG Omegle

Reading up on a few other blogs from around the interwebs, a site called Omegle has recently popped up onto my radar. It's a site that connects you to a random, anonymous person for some one on one chatting.

On the surface, this would be an ideal service for meeting new people online in a direct, yet safe way. In reality it is a magical place that turns people into incoherent imbeciles (I hope, and I'm not immune). The imbeciles then get together and have conversations much like these:

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
You: yo
Stranger: not you again.
You: it's always me
You: STRANGER DANGER! STRANGER DANGER!
Stranger: so did you figure it out?
You: maybe
Stranger: tell me.
You: I already did
Stranger: wait a sec
Stranger: i feel...
Stranger: *farts*
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
Stranger: DEPECHE MODE?
You: SURE, WHY NOT?
Stranger: W3WT
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

As a point of reference: these were some of the more intellectually stimulating conversations I had. It's kind of difficult to believe that this is the end result of eons of evolution and millennia of human progress.

And yet, much like a trainwreck, I just can't seem to look away.

1 comment:

Jazmeister said...

I want to see how this is doing in ten years. Will it (could it) have new features? Users?

I'm using it to burn up all my useless writing energy when I'm too tired to make it useful.