Aug 18, 2008

The Universal Wedding Dance Theory


Just came back from an awesome wedding in Maryland, and I think I've discovered something. Something big. I call it (for those of you who didn't think to read the post title) The Universal Wedding Dance Theory. In broad terms:

No matter how ridiculous the dance move, the more people that do it, the more accepted and imitated it becomes on the dance floor.

It's a little more nuanced than that, but that's the basic gist of it. I actually came up with the equations, which I'll share whenever I have nothing better to write about upon request.

One thing I noticed is that critical mass is about three people. One lone person doing a ridiculous move gets laughed at. Two people doing the same move are just shrugged off and accepted. Three however, becomes a trend and suddenly everyone else starts to join in.

Upon discovering this theory, I realized this is the only rational explanation for how the macarena, chicken dance and electric slide could have ever caught on. Also, while it's still not proven in field tests this theory may even hold true for the Elaine Dance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your theory may hold some weight. In that case, it's a very good thing there were three of us on the dance floor the forgotten choreography of Thriller. Perhaps I shouldn't have added that much pineapple rum to my lemonade...the other two? Not sure what their excuses are!